Happy Chinese New Year!!

by - Friday, January 23, 2009

After the new year, I'll be another year older, sadly not any wiser. That's how the Chinese calculate age according to the chinese calendar. Chinese new year is an important occasion for the Chinese - as it means the reunion of family and friends, from far and near. People always ask me, "Are you going back to your hometown?" or "Where is your hometown?"
There I go answering "I don't go back to hometown during Chinese New Year, but only during 'Qing Ming' festival where to pay a visit to my grandparents whom passed away for more than a decade ago. My hometown (nope, is daddy's hometown) is at Segamat, Johore." Heard of it?

Segamat is a small town area where (I think) Chinese populated the area. All the residence there almost know each other. it is really very diffrent from KL. Frankly speaking, when I was small, I never really did enjoy going back as it was quite boring and I missed my relatives from my mummy's side so much. I grew up with all my cousins from mummy's side and they were not only part of my life, but my life instead. I can never imagine being too far apart from them as we meet each other at least once a week. That's how close we all are. However, as I grow older... I am not reluctant going back anymore, instead wished that we woul;d be back there often just so to be closer with the relatives from daddy's side. I really don't want to NOT recognize my own cousins when I accidentally bumped into them. ( This happened to me before, so don't laugh.. )

What do I do on the way back to hometown? Well, I actually enjoy car ride - especially long journey. I know it sounded silly, but I really enjoy sitting and sleeping in the car. But definitely not driving it. There are a few things that MUST be with me.
Firstly, I can't go on a long journey without a book. A good read is necessary. I'm really grateful that I don't get dizzy reading in the car. =)
Second, I can never forget my mp3 player which consists of all my fav songs. Who can live without music really? I always attempt to remember the channel for the radio station for different states but I never succeeded. Last time, i used to bring my discman, and how glad I am of the invention of mp3 and mp4 players. It is so much lighter!
Third, I have to have a jacket or a pashmina scarf to cover myself from the sun during the day, and keep myself warm during the night.

I used to sleep a lot in the car during the journey. But, now I try to keep myself awake because I feel the need to accompany my daddy. He's the only one driving and the rest all slept... I will pretend to be not sleepy, and talked to him. I'll crap all sorts of nonsense, then read my book, then listen to songs, and still talking. Multitask you can say...

Happy driving to those going back to hometown for a long long journey. Safe journey so that you could meet your loved ones for this big reunion, which only come once a year.

Happy Holidays and Happy Chinese new Year, everyone!! *hugs*

You May Also Like

2 comments