Recap: Perhentian Trip

by - Monday, June 03, 2013

Skydiving

Bungee jumping
Diving

26.4.13. One of my dream goals checked. Nope, Perhentian wasn't a relaxing beach trip, but to go and get my open water diving license. It wasn't as difficult as I've thought but still it is an achievement as I overcome my fear and the panicky me. 


Starbucks, the perfect wake-up call before flying off
Day 1: A beautiful view welcoming me upon arriving 
Day 1: This was a relaxing day of learning the basics and theory. Did nothing much except for some oh-really-sleepy videos and night homework before bedtime.
Day 2: A breath-taking sunrise view from my room
Day 2: The day where we learned how to assemble our buoyancy control device (BCD) to the gas tank, checking our sizes for the fins, do buddy check and learn basic open water skills at a water depth of 3 meters. On the first session, there was problem with my face mask. No mater how much I tighten it, water still flows in deliberately covering my eyes trying to choke me. After trying out on another few masks, my dive instructor told me a devastating fact "The problem is not with the mask, but it's your face," Oh, so I have a face problem afterall. But, with many trials and errors, I finally found the way to secure the face mask. While on the second session of learning, I almost could have died when my mouthpiece flew out cause' I didn't hold it properly in my mouth (prolly' the correct way is to grit your teeth deep into the rubber :p). Lucky for me, my dive instructor was a really alert and experienced one, she came to my side in a split second and shoved her octopus (alternate air source) into my mouth. I was stoned for like few seconds become coming back to my senses. So again, diving wasn't entirely zero danger. Then we were off to our first dive at Batu Nisan. I couldn't remember much what I've seen cause' I was too busy observing my pressure gauge, trying to control my buoyancy, thinking how to breathe properly. Yeap, I thought hard >.<


Done assembling the equipment!
Trying to look pro with 20-ish kg on my back 

Day 3: After all the hardwork, the cotton candy skies greet me, time for dinner


Day 3: Again, more water training. This time tougher tasks were given compared to day 2. Today, we were expected to take off our BCD and weight belts underwater and wear them back. Okkay, that was really difficult for me cause' I'm really super positively buoyant (means I can really float). Once I'm out of my weight belts, I float like a balloon up to the air without string :/ Other than that, we were taught how to clear our masks underwater, swim without mask, and etc. We also learned how to breath through the alternate air source from our buddies and all the emergency precautions to be taken underwater. I particularly remember one which is the controlled emergency swimming ascent, CESA (pronounced as see-sa) which is used when you're out of breath and your buddy is nowhere to be seen. Hmm, but I guess my dear won't leave anywhere too far from me. So, not to worry too much *grin* We went for our second dive after lunch at D' Lagoon. This time, everything became more natural after much practice. More fishes were seen (maybe x100 nemos :p), and more oohs and aahs looking at those beautiful corals.

Day 4: Happily snapping photo knowing we are soon-to-be divers
Day 4: Recapped on some important points of training, did our theory test and passed with flying colors and go for more real dives! First, we were taught on how to use the compass cause' every direction looks the same underwater. There's no left and right or front and back. Then, we did our swimming test before we began our morning dive at Batu Layar. The third dive that I enjoyed the most cause' I'm feeling much more comfortable underwater, knowing how to keep my neutral buoyancy and managed to complete tasks given by my dive instructor. Also a dive with the highest visibility of 12m, hence we managed to see more sea creatures and colorful corals. Then we had our 10mins floating test and finally the fourth and last dive at Tanjung Basi. Visibility is not that good this time, only at 8m so very limited things we saw. But, all in all we all had a good experience though' the dive would be perfect if we were able to see baby sharks and giant sea turtles. Prolly' they were just too shy to see us, heh :p


Big thank you to my dive instructor, Birgit :)

Yayyy! Please call us divers!

I'm gonna miss my dive buddies shooo much

A picture I like the most, thanks for being there for me my dear 

You May Also Like

0 comments