Bell's Palsy

by - Thursday, April 12, 2018

A beautiful name, but indeed a frustrating condition. 

It is where the muscles on one side of the face, usually the right becomes weak or we may say "paralyzed". Real cause is unknown, but believed to have caused by trauma to the 7th cranial nerve a.k.a facial nerve. However, many suggested that viral infection plays a major role. 

I didn't want to believe that I'm having Bell's but the non-blinking right eye, and slight droop of the side of the mouth told me I should seek for medical attention. Went to the neurologist, and confirmed my self-diagnosis, but was told there’s no viral infection going on. Prolly' only inflamed facial nerve hence was started on high dose steroids, and long sick leave. I was taught to take extra care of the eye, wearing eye patch while I sleep at night to prevent from eye infection / dryness.

I don't always get sick, but I realize when I do, it's always the serious ones. Maybe this is my body telling me it needs rest. Perks of Bell's - I get to be sick like a princess, being pampered by the family, and plenty of sleep. 


You May Also Like

0 comments