Old Friends Are Gold

by - Saturday, July 06, 2019


Just a week back from Vietnam, here I am on the go again. This time to Sabah, The Land of Borneo to visit long time friends and relatives, also as a short getaway to detoxify myself. 

Though there’s nothing too special about Sabah, I try to make each trip meaningful by doing something different / new. And this time around, I joined a leisure dive by myself. It wasn’t an easy decision as I’ve always been timid. To venture into the vast blue sea by myself with a bunch of strangers took a lot of courage in me. At this time, I’m missing my adventurous girls. Being with them, I know I’m in safe hands. But one shouldn’t be too dependent all the time, no?

Though’ the dive experience wasn’t an impressive one as the dive sites were mostly sandy bottoms with limited visibility and not many sea creatures to see, but I still find serenity under the water listening to my own breath sounds. I find myself doing better each time I dive, less panic and more buoyancy control. And that’s a good thing to know.

On a dive alone
Other than diving searching for some bravery within, main purpose here is to visit old friends. Friends who were there throughout the past one decade, lifting each other if we fell too hard to the ground, and still do. Being with them (and their babies) for the past few days made me realize we really are grown ups now and we had long move on to different stages of life. Our topics of conversations have changed, our point of view towards life no longer the same as university days. 

Meeting baby Spencer for the first time 💗
We had fun being together everyday, waking up in the same house - going places together, doing things in a group just like the olden days. The parents have mini breaks from their babies cause’ me and another friend who came to visit helped out to carry / play with them. Then, we have our private time to do some drinking and long talks at night when the babies are settled down. 

I have to admit that I sometimes still miss our younger carefree days, but I guess we have all reach this stage of life where we understand that life is a movement forward. There’s not much time to even juggle the current days, let alone reminiscing the past.




Most friends only stay for a period of time, and when we move on, or priorities change, so do our friends. I’m glad that this group still sticks around, and hopefully always will. And one day, when we finally look back - we can say to each other “Ahhh, we’ve come this far”. 

You May Also Like

0 comments